Monday, January 17, 2011

Adventures in Bangor

Happy MLK Day, everyone! Hope you are all enjoying your day off and remembering a truly great and inspiring individual.

Chris and I are currently in Maine for his job interview. We've had a weekend filled with a lot of laughs and "grown up" activity, like looking at houses and apartments (you know you are an adult when real estate books become good reading material). Bangor is little and quaint... older houses, independently run restaurants and stores, snowy mountains in the distance... definitely different than what the two of us are used to as of late, BUT very similar to how my college town felt and apparently how his childhood town felt.

If we'd planned well, we probably could've taken in some of the fun outdoorsy activities that Maine has to offer (cross country skiing, hiking, sunrise at Katahdin), but as usual, we are in a whirlwind :) We did get a chance to try out two great restaurants in the area (Giacomo's and Paddy Murphy's) and even toured the Orono campus a bit. One of my favorite parts of this trip was buying a cheap bathing suit at Target after finding out the hotel had a pool and hot tub! We checked out a few houses/apartments yesterday in person and AMAZINGLY agreed on one that we both liked best. I might go check out a few more today while he's at the hospital, but we'll see.

Either way, the best part of looking at new places, apartments, jobs and schools is that we are looking at them together. There is something really exciting and a bit less terrifying about that. Doing things on your own can be fun and exhilerating but new experiences with someone you love is exhilerating in a totally different way. And I guess I haven't had that in a very long long time... or ever, really, post living with a family.

It's like the Brandi Carlile song The Story says:
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don't mean anything
When you've got no one to tell them to
It's true... I was made for you

I crossed all the lines and broke all the rules
But baby I broke them all for you
Because even when I was flat broke
You made me feel like a million bucks
It's true...
I was made for you

Love that song. Love that boy. Love that this adventure has been terrifying, exciting, up and down, thought provoking and growth inducing. Love that tomorrow morning I could wake up worried or nervous about something in the future and that by tomorrow night I could be laughing and snuggling on a couch, feeling 100% better... and just not knowing right now what it'll be. And sort of being OK with that for once.

Lots of love on a sunny, snowy Maine morning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment