Thursday, April 7, 2011

Blog Renovation, Sports,and Thoughts

First things first. I apologize for the weird font color issues happening right now. I am not very computer saavy but was hoping to change the template on this blog to something a little more light and happy (my other template was just too dark and depressing after awhile). Unfortunately, I cannot get the text colors on the older posts to change so if you want to read them, you'll have to highlight the post to see anything. Under construction... Moving right along... it is a gorgeous, sunny Thursday here in Indiana. I am itching to get outside but have spent the morning taking an Anatomy/Physiology exam and trying to take care of 15 other tasks I've been putting off. Soon!!! So first things first.. to all you distraught Butler fans out there- congrats on making it all the way to the national championships and remember that this loss is nothing more than fewer points on a court ONE NIGHT. The players exhibited true sportsmanship and integrity and isn't that what this is really all about? I think so. It's about having heart... teamwork... and the ability to get up and try again. So congrats on a great season! Which leads me to my next topic... BASEBALL SEASON! I love love love this time of year. The first time the Red Sox play at Fenway signifies (to me) the start of spring/summer, warm nights, cold beer, and childhood. And they play the Yankees tomorrow- oyyy. Perfect!!!! Chris and I are hosting an opening day party tomorrow night complete with whiffle ball, ballpark franks, and the wearing of our teams hats/shirts. Come one, come all! Other life updates include: 1 month left of this semester, followed by one 7 week intro to psych session... than nursing school here I come! About 3 months til the big move to Arizona- apartment hunting starts within a month! Still searching for job opportunities while I wait to start the nursing program... any ideas or leads are always welcome ;) Seana's big wedding day happens in T-3 months (thank god for WW... gotta make sure I can still fit into that cute bridesmaid dress). Annnnnd a trip out to Maine for Easter to boot! Lots of stuff going on this spring/summer. I can hardly believe I've been out in the midwest for 9 months now. And that by the end of this year it's off to a new adventure. Crazytown. So an interesting thought that's been helping me recently (and that I'd like to offer up as an idea for those about to move or embark on their own adventure and are feeling a bit anxious): I've started mentally visualizing the U.S. without lines. There is something about the separation of each state as if it's its own country (which anywhere else in the world it would be) that has been extremely daunting. BUT, when I picture the shape of the U.S. without any boundaries or borders, it seems like one big state to me that just requires a little extra driving to get from town to town. Don't ask me why this has been helping, it just has. I am the girl who takes care of children everyday and has wild, unbelievable dreams- I think my imagination is constantly running into thousands of directions. But hey, whatever works, right? Question for you all: how do you handle big changes and the stress that comes along with them? Any "off the cuff" methods you are willing to share?

4 comments:

  1. Go BoSox!! I so wish that I could attend your party...

    As for coping with big change related stress - it sounds cheesy, but I think it's really important to just visualize it all being ok! That helped me a lot when I was going through all of my law school drama. Just remember that you have things and people in your life that will be stable and good and there for you no matter what hardships you face! Oh, and get out there and do stuff for yourself... stuff that makes you happy. Find things that you love to do and make time and space for them in your life when you move. For instance, I always try to volunteer at a local animal shelter in all of my homes. I think having SOMETHING constant in our lives is really important. No matter how hard we fight it, we're creatures of habit afterall!

    Bottom line - you're going to own it! No pressure though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.) If you email me your info (name and password) for the blog, I will work my magic on your color problems if you like :)

    2.) I WILL BE IN MAINE FOR EASTER TOO!!!!!! And the entire week before :)

    3.) I make fanatic amounts of lists and make sure to exercise at least an hour a day before a big change. It's weird, but it helps A LOT. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently depressed about the Red Sox, but agree that baseball signifies summer time. I SOOO wish I could come to your party - it sounds amazing.

    Like Ashley - I exercise a LOT when changes are happening. I also write down exactly what is changing and why it is stressful.... often seeing it in writing makes me realize that it's nothing to really be stressed about and if someone else told them they were dealing with it I wouldn't find it a big deal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're all RIGHT- exercise is key I would say! I have been trying to walk or MOVE at least 45 mins/4 times a week and Weight Watchers has me eating a lot healthier which is helping too. Thanks for the tips!!! :) And I wish ALL of you could be at my Red Sox party since I think I'm the ONLY Red Sox fan attending (damn you, midwest!) But you will be there in spirit. And Ash- HOME OVER EASTER??? WOOOO! I WILL SEE YOU???? I BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ummm annnnd I emailed you info so you can help your computer-challenged friend :) xo!

    ReplyDelete