Monday, September 6, 2010

Reflections on Labor Day

While running this morning, I started reflecting on a few things- the first (and most random) being what it must be like to go into labor on LABOR DAY. Because aside from the irony of it all, you know that there will be at least one awesome, brilliant family member that shows up at the hospital and cracks some joke about how "fitting it is" or laughs and says "Happy Labor Day!" And you, as the pregnant woman, are probably thinking, "If I wasn't sucking on ice chips and completely exhausted right now I would reach up and slug you." So to all you pregnant women out there about to go into labor right now, I apologize in advance for your "hilarious" Uncle Billy.
Ok, that really had nothing to do with this blog but as the writer, I decided I would take some creative liberties. Moving right along....
A relevant thought that occured to me while running is how Chris and I have been cooking lots of different types of foods since I moved in and have yet to poison one another or suffer some major kitchen catastrophe. This is humorous to me given the fact that neither one of us is truly a stellar chef. But somehow, we're making stuff that (wait for it)... tastes good. I will never forget the first time he came to visit me in Boston and I tried to be all cute and make some delicious pasta meal and the pasta completely disintegrated. So the two of us ate mushy, tasteless pasta with tasteless sauce at my rickety little kitchen table... and felt slightly ill afterwards. I remember looking at our bowls of pasta and thinking about something that a friend's mom had said to me a few years back which was, "As long as you can cook, you can win a man's heart." I sighed and thought, well, it was fun while it lasted. But low and behold, we have moved forward from that day and last night made a very tasty chili!
Ok another thought while running today was that I need to run MORE. I joked this morning that I was going to become the reindeer sweater* wearing old lady far too soon if I didn't get up and move. It's incredible how much walking I did in the city that I don't do now.... I need to remember that or the 400 pound woman that lives inside me will actually eat me.
I would also like to point out that the tone of my last few blogs has been slightly negative. Sarcastic and funny, perhaps, but negative. And I would like to reassure you all that I am not standing on a ledge somewhere with cement blocks attached to my feet. Writing and passive-aggressive humor are my two greatest outlets in life (aside from music, of course, which would be made easier if a) I had a guitar and b) I knew how to play it). But actually, aside from the occasional insecure moment or frustration with the newness of everything, I am also having a lot of fun. I really love my classes (though I will be honest and say to you that I am not a HUGE fan of the online approach... or of microscope assembly after my quiz on Saturday) and the kids I am nannying are absolutely awesome and make my whole day. It's hard to feel sad when you have a one-year old with his arms wrapped around your leg, smiling up at you with his chubby cheeks and a precocious 4-year old who doesn't want you to leave at the end of the day. Maybe that's why I've always loved kids. They just see you for you... they don't care what you do or how you look or what you have. If you give them a band-aid when they fall or play tag with them in the backyard, they love you for life.
Ok, one last recap before I actually shower and hit the books (cuz both need to happen badly... especially the first one). This weekend was a blast! Friday night we went out to the Cheesecake Factory and ohhh yummm.... that may just be my all-time favorite restaurant. I think we had leftovers til yesterday! Saturday I had a somewhat disasterous morning due to technology (and that is all I will say about that) but then had a great afternoon. We went over to New Friend Heather's house (I am so proud of myself for getting us invited somewhere) to watch the Purdue- Notre Dame game. Everyone at the house was a Purdue fan so I stayed quiet about my love for Notre Dame (how can you not love the Fightin' Irish, especially when your Grampy loved them for years?!)... and Notre Dame won, soooooo I was pleased. Not that I really follow football, but I'm getting there. Saturday night we went out with, wait for it, ELIZABETH GROTTON who happened to be in town on a babysitting job!!!!! What a crazy coincidence! We all went out to Brother's for beer and apps and then brought her back to the house to hang out and eat some leftover cake. It was awesome to see her and fun to mix my two worlds.
Sunday Chris made us some delicious nachos while I chatted with my sister and looked online at the bridesmaids' dresses we are wearing for our cousin Seana's wedding. Love love love them :) So excited for Seana's wedding.... she is going to be the most beautiful bride! And we all love Dan, so it makes it that much better.
After nachos we went grocery shopping and what did I learn from that experience? A) That no one here is ever in the big hurry that I am (which is actually code for me being spastic) and B) shoving things like strawberries onto a belt at the checkout when there's actually no room for them because you are being impatient will only result in a karmic spill. I have learned my lesson. Slow. It. Down. You are NOT, contrary to your own belief, on fire. We came home after that and watched a bit more One Tree Hill (ohhh such a guilty pleasure) and then made chili and corn muffins. Yum! Then around 8, I went out and met Elizabeth one more time for a coffee and a chat. All in all, a superb weekend with great people.
Okkkkkkkkk really, I gotta go now.
XOXO!

*The reindeer sweater reference has to do with a dream of mine to one day work at a chocolate shop at the foot of the Swiss Alps. I want to wear reindeer sweaters and leggings, make candy, and then live in a loft upstairs where I can sit on a window seat and read and drink hot chocolate all night while the snow falls outside... and of course, out my window will be a picturesque European street made of cobblestone with quaint houses and stores on either side. Here is a picture of said sweater: http://anniesue.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/reindeer_600.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment