Saturday, December 4, 2010

Holidays on a Budget

Happy snowy Saturday, kids!
Not sure if it's snowing where you are but I'm looking at quite the winter wonderland outside. And there is nothing better than blogging in fleece snowflake socks with freshly brewed coffee and Christmas music playing. Oh and did I mention a brand new book from Borders? (I am such a book geek... seriously, most girls could spend dangerous amounts of money at Coach. That is how I feel about bookstores. Nerd.). Chris might argue that being at Disneyland in Anaheim is far better than this (as that is where he is right now) but I don't know... I'm feeling pretty content ;) Though I DO love Disney.... guess it's a toss up!
So originally I set my alarm for 7 am so that I could drive thirty minutes to a Christmas craft fair in Westfield, but I am rethinking that decision given the weather. However, the prospect of going to a craft fair gave me my own ideas about how to approach Christmas decorating on a budget this year.
First, let me backtrack and explain that my big goal for 2011 is to get a better handle on budgeting and living within my means. I feel that this is particularly pertinent given the fact that I am a student right now and not working full-time. I am not a frivolous spender by any stretch (though I do love a good latte), BUT I think that sometimes I pay far more for things than I need to. For example, there is the issue of the cell phone. Now granted, I am not on a family plan because that's not the way things work right now, so my monthly bill is higher than most to start. However, I decided yesterday I was sick of the amount I spend each month on a stupid phone. So I called up AT&T and asked the rep what I could do to shave costs. First of all, there is the issue of unlimited texting-$20/month more for that! I asked her if there was a lower amount. She told me that for 1500 texts a month you could pay $15 so I opted for that (the lowest plan was 200/month but knowing me and my generation, that would not be a smart choice). I made her laugh when I told her that if I am sending/receiving more than 1500 texts a month I need to SERIOUSLY reevaluate my life. Then we changed early nights and weekends to just regular nights and weekends. Let's be honest- I had those plans for when I was doing long distance. But there is no one I talk to for 6 hours at a time on the phone anymore so I think it's safe to scale back. NOW- the total savings per month from what I was paying is $15 which means a savings of $180 in a year. Not a ton, I know, but it's a start! And I am going to continue to look into ways to get the most bang for my buck in other aspects of my life as well. No more sweet, naive, I pay what you tell me to pay Mariah. She's gone-zo.
ANYWAY- that was long winded and boring, I apologize.
My point is, I made a list of things we needed for Christmas decorating and started to get stressed about how much everything would cost. Now granted, going to cut down our own tree is exciting and festive and something I am totally willing to spend money on (and Chris is on the same page which is great). But all the lights, garland, ornaments, etc.? Is it necessary to spend upwards of $100 for some holiday cheer?? I think not.
Interestingly, growing up I never considered myself a crafty person. But I think between my old job at Make-A-Wish and my current part-time job as a nanny, I have become far more creative than I ever imagined. I am now confident that I can tackle this challenge.
I started doing some online searching and found this great site:
www.rd.com/home-garden/16-easy-and-cheap-christmas-decorating-tips/article113060.html

There are lots of ideas I love, like taking old Christmas cards and matting them or using them to create a swag. I am a total pack rat and don't think I've ever thrown away a card, so what better way to justify my hoarding disorder? And how cute are the candy canes in the hurricane glasses throughout the house? A pack of candy canes is only a few dollars and hurricane glasses at the Christmas Tree Shop are only a few bucks as well. And tying cute bows around throw pillows for the couch? Awesome. Cranberries in vases look beautiful too- Mom gave me that idea first. Ooooo and how cool is the picture frame matting of festive wrapping paper? I am half-tempted to use these "projects" on the kids I nanny for. We made a pretty great Christmas tree shaped countdown calendar last week.... I'm sure they are up for a few more challenges ;)

Anyway, the point is, Christmas is about the special touches that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside (I mean, it's not really about that at all, it's about baby Jesus and family and friends, but you know what I mean). And most of the time, the things that make a house a home are the creative and personal pieces in it. So am going to make my list, check it twice (hehe) and see what I can do to stay within the budget but make this house beautiful! IDEAS ALWAYS WELCOME (ahem, I have quite a few crafty friends, you KNOW who you are!)

Oh, one more thing, for festive food and drinks, I find lots of great ideas in Family Circle magazine (God, I deserve a mini van and a swift kick after this post). No, but seriously... they come up with the greatest, easiest little ideas! Like popping some fresh cranberries into champagne flutes before serving. Or adding a little food coloring to sugar cookie dough to make them holiday appropriate. OR, one of my favorites, taking fun ribbons and amping up generic tree decorations (great for if you're just starting out like we are and only have a few nice ornaments).

And finally, if you're reading all this thinking, whatever, Mariah, I hate crafts, please keep in mind that I was the child who would write a thirty page story on that crappy 2nd grade "learning" paper and have my friend Elizabeth illustrate the pages because I hated coloring. So seriously- if I can do this stuff, any and all of you can. And how nice to alleviate some of the spending stress and feel like you made something unique?

Ok, as much as I'd love to remain in my happy little Christmas bubble, I have a stats quiz that wants me to duke it out with him and ohhh, just two finals standing between me and the end of the semester. Can we all believe I've almost made it through one semester of science and math? Because I'm about to give myself a star for not pulling a law school. And for those of you who know me, I hope you laughed and rolled your eyes at the insert of self-deprication right there.
Lots of love!!!! OHHH and P.S.- as per the advice of a former wish mom whose CarePage entry this morning brought tears to my eyes, "Hold those you love extra close this holiday season. Take nothing for granted." Happy Holidays to you and yours! And happy 2nd week of advent, for those of you who follow that calendar :)

2 comments: